As Nesting doll makers, we often face problems with faulty matryoshka dolls; fortunately, we know how to fix them.
So is your lovely nesting doll broken? Is it a bit too tight to open or a bit too loose that it keeps falling apart?
Don't worry! Read this article to learn how to fix a nesting doll with everyday tools.
How to Fix a Nesting Doll
We've provided several fixes to some problem stacking doll owners encounter.
Problem: My Nesting doll is too tight/difficult to open
Sometimes, wood expands when there's too much humidity in the air. This situation makes the nesting dolls difficult to open. Here's what you can do:
- Place your nesting doll in a fridge overnight. Heat makes wood expand, and cold makes it shrink. Both reactions could cause cracks or loose joints. Wood also expands and contracts as it gains or loses moisture.
- Use a small piece of course sandpaper (about 2 inch by 2 inch) sandpaper to smoothen the inner edge of the nesting doll's top half. Be sure not to sand too much off and take care not to scratch the painted part of the matryoshka.
Problem: I cannot open my nesting doll at all
A nesting doll can be too difficult to open if the lacquer coating seeped into the doll's seam fusing the two halves. Here's what you can do:
- Spread a rag on the floor and place your matryoshka doll on the cloth.
- Put your hands on each other and lean lightly on the nesting doll's seam. Rock the doll back and forth while pressing down on the seam. Continue this motion till you hear a crack.
- Try to open the nesting doll again. Do not apply too much pressure while rolling the doll to avoid and breaking the seam.
Problem: my nesting doll is too loose and keeps falling apart
- Apply a thin layer of DIY craft glue ( like Elmer's glue) on the nesting doll's upper part's inner edge.
- Allow the glue to dry completely before putting the nesting doll's halves back together.
Problem: my Nesting doll has a small crack
Uh-oh! Sometimes a crack in the nesting doll is bad news. But if it's small and on the inside only, you could fix it with wood filler.
Problem: my Nesting doll is missing a piece
Every Matryoshka doll set is made from the same log of wood. If you lose a single piece, you should contact the seller and relay your issues. Every good nesting doll maker worth their salt will come up with a solution for you.